What to know about changing the engine oil and oil filters
Regular engine oil and oil filter changes are crucial for your vehicle's health. This quick guide will walk you through the essentials of this maintenance task.
1. Importance of Regular Changes
Routine oil changes prevent engine wear, maintain efficiency, and extend your vehicle's life.
2. Get the Right Supplies
Refer to your car's manual for oil type and filter specs. Gather the tools: wrench, drain pan, new oil, new filter, funnel, gloves, and safety glasses.
3. Safety First
Park on a level surface, engage the parking brake, and wear safety glasses.
4. The Process
• Drain Old Oil: Remove the drain plug, let the old oil drain.
• Remove Old Filter: Loosen and replace the old oil filter.
• Prep New Filter: Apply oil to the new filter's gasket.
• Install New Filter: Screw it on by hand, then three-quarters of a turn more.
• Add New Oil: Use a funnel to add the right amount of new oil.
• Check Oil Level: Start the engine, wait, and check the oil level with the dipstick.
• Dispose Properly: Recycle old oil and filter at a designated center.
5. Follow Maintenance Schedule
Stick to your car manufacturer's recommended oil change interval, usually every 3,000 to 7,500 kms
Changing engine oil and oil filters is simple and crucial for vehicle health. Follow these steps and your car will thank you with reliable performance and longevity.